Wednesday 30 May 2012

Forbidden Black Rice Salad with Mango

Shopping in a new store the other day and came across a product I had never seen before: Black Forbidden Rice.  With a name like that, I knew I had to buy it.  Marketing experts should put the word forbidden in everything. Forbidden Brussel Sprouts anyone?  It totally made me want to buy it immediately.  It also happened to be beautiful to look at and was relatively economical to buy. 

I had no idea what I would do with it when lo and behold, there in the mail was June's issue of Bon Appetit.  And what did they have?  Black Rice and Mango Salad.  I've altered the recipe slightly from the original, subbing a few ingredients to make it simpler.   This was my first time using the Ataulfo Mango and it was delicious, although I'm not sure it made that big of difference in the salad.
We ate it both at room temperature and chilled from the fridge.  I actually enjoyed it cold better, although itt could have been the plus 30degrees temperature that made me craving a cold dish. It would make a great addition to a backyard BBQ but also made for a tasty work day lunch.  I suspect you could make this with any rice, perhaps a wild rice mixture would work although it won't be quite so visually appealing.  And, it won't be Forbidden.

Forbidden Black Rice Salad with Mango

adapted from bon appetit
1 orange
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp Sriacha Sauce
1 cup Black Forbidden Rice
2 mangos, peeled and diced
1 cup fresh parsley
1 cup finely chopped shallot
1/2 cup cashews
3 scallions, thinly sliced

Bring 2 cups water to a boil and add rice, lowering to a simmer.  Cook for approx 20min with lid on until water absorbed.  Peel orange and release from membranes over a bowl to catch the juices.  Set aside slices of orange and squeeze extra juice from membranes.  I had about 1/4 cup fresh orange juice at that point. Strain orange juice through a fine mesh sieve and then add lime juice, oil, sriracha  and fish sauce and set aside.  When rice is cooked, spread out on a cookie sheet and pour dressing over rice while still warm.  Stir and allow to cool.  Stir in chopped mango, oranges, shallots and parsley.  Top with roasted cashews and scallions.

2 comments:

  1. where the heck do you buy forbidden black rice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bulk Food Stores (Bulk Barn, Healthy Haven, Organic Oasis) and some grocery stores. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete