Sunday 9 September 2012

Popcorn Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I was 17, I left home and moved away to attend university.  I moved into a dorm eager to leave home and small town living behind me.  My roommate was a friend from high school who I didn't know very well, but hoped would be a good match.  We all know how this story ends.  She of course become my best friend, was maid of honour at my wedding and remains a faithful friend some twenty years later.  Dorm life was fun, classes were interesting but the food was terrible. 

One day my roommate suggested we go to the vending machines for a snack.  As we stood in front of that machine I mentioned how it was so hard to decided between salty or sweet.  She looked at me with the most innocent eyes and said, "why choose?  I always have both!"  Of course, sweet and salty products have been a mainstream product for years now, but I tell you, twenty years ago, this was revolutionary. My vending machine days are long gone and should my kids read this, they will be shocked to know I ever did consume junk food.
Back to school for my kids this week has presented an opportunity to reflect back on my own school days and the many happy memories.  My nervousness for Josilin's new school is beginning to settle, but I'm still trying to spend time with her to make sure things are okay.  I invited her to make cookies with me, despite knowing they would be a white sugar, white flour, chocolate creation if she was in charge.  She wanted to cookies to have something more than just chocolate and our leftover popcorn quickly became the addition she wanted.  We won't be making these every week, but once in awhile it's fun to indulge in a treat and hopefully create some new happy memories of our own.

Popcorn Chocolate Chip Cookies

adapted from framed cooks

1 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups popcorn
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350degrees
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer, add butter and sugars.  Combine until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
Add flours, baking soda and powder and mix until just incorporated.  Add popcorn and mix until fully incorporated.  Add chocolate chips and mix by hand.
Drop by teaspoonful on parchment and bake 10min.  They will look a little underdone coming out of the oven.  Let cool and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm....sounds wonderful! You're a woman after my own heart JJ! :) And so blessed to have a mom who encourages you to experiment in the kitchen. I'll definitely be giving this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete