Thursday 12 September 2013

Thai Charred Corn & Coconut Soup

We've had this soup three times in the last few weeks.  The fresh local corn screams summer time while the warm soup leans us toward fall.  Jos has been packing it on her lunch at school too.  Since it's only the second week of school, I'm going to do my best not to complain about packing kids lunches here.  Honestly, although I love all things food, even I tire of creating food that will survive a school day and be quickly consumed.

Perhaps it's time to let the kids pack their own lunches.  Eleven and thirteen years old, they are more than capable of it.  Letting go of that moment of nourishment will be hard for me.  Since they were born I've worried about their intake.  There should be a term for this problem  I missed the boat on baby-led weaning, but there is still time for some pre-teen weaning?  I could lay out food for the kids to pick to put on their lunch and fill their containers with?  I can already see a self-help group for the moms who cringe as their child chooses all dairy meals or (gasp) an entire lunch bag full of treats.
All jokes aside, feeding my family is a challenge I love to pursue.  Luke came home from a sleepover last week telling me about a great meal he had at their home.  His only comment?  Once you get the recipe you'll just want to add some kale to it.  That's my boy!  He knows his mom too well.

Thai Charred Corn & Coconut Soup

2 cobs corn
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 onion diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp red curry paste
3 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cups cooked and shredded turkey or chicken
2 cups kale, chopped
1 cup coconut milk
handful cilantro or basil (optional)

Preheat  BBQ to high.
Brush cobs of corn with 1 Tbps of coconut oil.
Place on grill and cook each side until slightly charred, about 3min each.
Remove from heat and cool.  Shuck kernels from cobs and reserve.
In a large pot heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil over medium-high heat.  Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 min.  Add curry paste and garlic, stirring constantly.  Add water pepper and salt, scraping up any stuck bits from bottom of pan.  Add carrots and kale, reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15min.  Add turkey/chicken and coconut milk and heat through, about 5 min.  Taste for salt and season as desired.  Top with chopped basil or cilantro if you like.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment