Sunday 6 October 2013

Pear & Cinnamon Muffins


On any given day I would tell you how thankful I am to have good friends.  I would tell you what a great community I live in and how supported our family is each and everyday.  This week in particular my gratitude has been struck deeply.  In a moment when I needed to be two places at once, I made a call.  Twice in one week this happened and on both occasions I was met with a receptive friend willing to step in and be "me" when I couldn't be there.  Picking up a sick child from school so they wouldn't have to linger in the school office might seem like a small favour, but for the mom racing to get to her child, it is like moving the earth.

The friendships we build so often create the community we live in.  I look in awe at the love that surrounds not only my kids, but the adults too.  When I am exhausted physically and emotionally it is this support that so often lifts my spirits.  A walk around town on a warm fall night; a carpool to a hockey game out of town, homework help for the kid who missed school; all of these small acts add up to a greater feeling of being loved.

We delivered these muffins to a couple of the angels mentioned above.  We have made them with both pears and apples and both are delicious.  My preference is the pear (hence the title of the recipe), as it softened a little more and was an unexpected flavour.  They kept well for a few days, a feat not easily accomplished with muffins.  It took a double batch for there to be enough to last a few days as both kids couldn't get enough of them.

Pear & Cinnamon Muffins

adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
1/2 cup cane sugar

1 egg
1 cup plain yogurt
2 cups pears, finely chopped (about 4 small pears)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  
Line 12-15 muffin cups with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and set aside. In a stand mixer, cream the coconut oil and add the cane sugar. Beat until fluffy, then add the egg and mix well. Remove bowl from stand and add the yogurt, mixing lightly.   Stir in the dry ingredients and fold in the pear chunks.
Scoop approx 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin liner.  Bake 15-20min.  Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment