Sunday 1 December 2013

Marmalade Loaf


The longer I am away from this space, the harder it is to return.  With no profound reason for my absence it feels difficult to jump back in and start sharing.  There have been plenty of wonderful meals consumed, many that would fit well in this space, but somehow my hands haven't made it to the keyboard to share.  As I pondered how to break this silence, I realized there may never be a good reason to be gone and perhaps it is best to just jump back in.  So welcome back to all of you and I hope we can meet here a little more often in the weeks to come.  There are so many cozy winter recipes to share, not to mention some holiday cheer!


I've made these loaves several times, always with great success.  I've bundled them up as gifts and also brought them board meetings with tea.  Jos loves it packed on her lunch for morning snack and Don will eat it anytime of day.  The batter uses semolina flour, which is most often used in pasta making but also makes a great crumb in a loaf.  I keep it in my pantry for my favourite pizza dough (which should totally try!).  I had some homemade marmalade to put in, but I suspect this would be just as good with storebought.  It stores well for a few days and might even taste better after it's had time to sit and soak up the glaze.

Marmalade Loaf

adapted from Ottolenghi, Jerusalem

¾ cup melted coconut oil
1 cup apple cider
½ cup orange marmalade
4 eggs
cup coconut sugar
¾ cup shredded dried unsweetened coconut
¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup semolina
2 tsp  baking powder
1 tsp salt
Set the oven at 350 degrees. Grease two small loaf pans with coconut oil. 

In a bowl, whisk together the oil, cider, marmalade, eggs until well combined.

In another larger bowl, whisk the sugar, coconut, flour, semolina, baking powder, and salt. Pour the cider mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well until thoroughly combined (the mixture will be runny).

Transfer the batter to the prepared pans. Bake the loaves for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. (Make the syrup while the cake bakes.)

For the Syrup:

½ cup coconut sugar
cup water
1 Tbsp marmalade
In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the marmalade and stir until dissolved. When the cake is done, set it on a rack, still in the pan. Brush the top with syrup and let it soak into the cake. Continue brushing several times like this. Leave to cool.  Slice and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment