Monday 24 February 2014

Green Lentil Horseradish Apple Soup

It's Soup Group 2014 and my contribution this year is a Green Lentil, Horseradish, Apple Soup.  What it lacks in beauty (ever tried to photograph a bowl of brown mush?), it makes up for in taste.  The horseradish was a surprising ingredient for me to include.  Prior to the soup, my only experience has been served alongside roast beef.  And in that instance, I disliked it greatly.  Thankfully, a friend made this soup for me to try a few years ago and only out of politeness did I eat it.  Shocked at how tasty it was, I'm a convert now.

Fresh horseradish can be found in most grocery stores.  It looks like a gnarly carrot that met up with celery root.  In fact, when I purchased the one pictured above the young cashier had no idea what it was.  I turned to the young man bagging the groceries and asked for his guess.  He said "celery root", which was reasonable but wrong.  I'm sure after I left the two of them discussed how totally annoying middle aged foodie shoppers are.  Whenever cashiers ask me "what is this" I generally include a mini education about how delicious and healthy the ingredient in question is!  Previous cases include: swiss chard, collard greens, fennel, Meyer lemons and tonic water.  What can I say?  I think everyone should eat well.

Green Lentil Horseradish Apple Soup

adapted from The Flavour Principle

1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt (omit if using boxed stock)
2 cups green lentils
6 cups vegetable stock, preferably homemade 
2 green apples, chopped (I didn't peel because my blender is high power)
4 tsp freshly grated horseradish
4 tsp lemon zest

In a large pot, on medium heat, melt coconut oil.  Add onions and saute until softened, about 10min.  Add spices and lentils and stir on heat for about 2min.  Add stock and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom.  Add apples, horseradish and lemon zest and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until lentils are softened, about 30 min.  Puree in batches.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.



1 comment: